The New Moon always feels like a good time to set intentions* and this go round, I set intentions with a “Landmark Birthday” in mind. Granted, these intentions are lofty (they may be bigger than lofty but we’ll go with that) so I’m calling them my Super Intentions. Since this blog deals with my financial state, I’ve decided to share my Super Financial Intentions with you all.
Without further ado…
By my 30th Birthday/Life Anniversary, I will…
- Have erased at least 80% of my student loan debt (roughly $81,000).
- Have amassed a savings of $20,000.
- Have cleared ALL of my medical debt (approximately $2,700).
Now you are probably wondering why these are being called SUPER INTENTIONS? Not only is this month’s new moon considered a Supermoon (the moon looks larger because it’s a bit closer to Earth) but my Landmark Birthday is 504 days away. That makes these goals completely outlandish seeing as I take home roughly $1,900 a month.
These goals are so crazy that I was almost afraid to write them down but there is something about putting pen to paper that makes a goal seem more attainable. Now you’re thinking to yourself, “Okay Young. That’s cute. But come on, how are you going to do this?”
Short answer – I have NO clue whatsoever but as my Life Coach Stephanie would say, “[My] job is not to figure out the details.”
Longer answer – I have thought about it and I plan to take baby steps. In light of this, I came up the following “rules” for myself.
- Unless a trip is sponsored, I will cease traveling until after my 30th
- For each leisure purchase, 15% of the total purchase price goes to the smallest uncleared loan.
- Every penny counts so all of my “extra” money will be split evenly between my three goals.
- I will stick hard to a budget because I don’t have a choice here. My priority? My financial freedom.
I will be keeping a tally of where I am on these goals and I’ll be sharing with you all (so you can share my joys and defeats).
Do you all have any financial goals by a Landmark Birthday? If so, share below in the comments.
*I’m not superstitious, I just like rituals.